|Add wheels and you can really Gogh!|
The main problem was (and probably still is) that refugees cannot work legally while they are waiting for their legal status to be decided.
Nothing will drive someone crazy than sitting on their hands with nothing to do.
So here's the idea:
- Buy a bunch of used/broken bikes at auction (in Amsterdam you can get 20 bikes for €800 from the "bike prison")
- Give the bikes to refugees to repair and paint white.
- Some of the white bikes are then painted in the shop's "brand colors."
- The rest are given to other refugees to paint as unique art pieces.
- Sell the finished bikes one-by-one in an auction.
- Use the cash to buy more bikes, tools and materials, but also to throw a party, pay for education or other items needed in the community.
Related: How the Germans are sorting refugees from economic migrants