- This sweet, funny video encourages you to "look up from your phone" and talk to the people next to you. It's a direct response to the unsocial side of social networks that I discussed in Why I quit Facebook, I'm back on Facebook and Coping with social networks
- I highly recommend this discussion of coal, politics, poverty and corruption in West Virginia
- The Economist deconstructs Putin's strategy of using disinformation and Russian nationalism to dominate his people. Given his pride, I agree that the best strategy may be to ridicule Putin as a foolish power junkie. Maybe he will stop ruining people's lives if people call him a thuggish idiot who builds castles in the sand. Hey Putin! You're an idiot! (Related: A Russian analyzes Putin as a Soviet zombie and how (private) returns to (anti-social) aggression)
- Politicians throw climate science under the bus to advance short term gains (Saudi Arabia vetoed a Dutch attempt to include emissions by income level. Gasoline costs €0.05/liter ($0.27/gallon) here
- Culture clash: "A tense taxi journey across the Saudi desert makes an American author consider the folly of nationality"
- Peak Time Rebates for using less energy are just as silly as "use it or lose it" water property rights
13 May 2014
Anything but water