|THIS is how to have dinner with friends|
- Ties Rijcken, an engineer friend of mine, wrote an excellent essay [pdf] on "wabi," or the ways in which we can balance nature and technology. Such balance can be efficient at the same time as it's sustainable and beautiful. Read it.
- UC Davis settled its lawsuits on that incident of police brutality via pepper spraying innocent students for $1 million. The cop who did it, and his chief, were fired. I'm not sure the settlement fixes the poor reputation of police (they've always been a little trigger happy), but it's nice to see SOME repercussions.
- Economists can oversimplify things to the point of uselessness, but sometimes they do so in entertaining ways, e.g., the MONIAC analogue computer that used fluidic logic [water flows!] to model the workings of an economy.
- WTF + wise quotes = wisdom tha fuck [NSFW]
- Hint: If you're running research projects and worry about PIs double- or triple-dipping that leads to lots of money for no effort, then limit them to one project per CV (hear that NIH, NSF and EU?). I know it will work in some places...