- Business, the state and corruption in Arabic countries: "Food and fuel subsidies are often huge: over 10% of GDP in Egypt. In the region as a whole, fuel subsidies rose from 2.3% of GDP in 2009 to 3.2% in 2011... These subsidies benefit the rich, keep loss-making firms alive and damage the economy." Speaking of which, read this potted summary of why West Asia/North Africa (aka Middle East) is fucked up. Hint: British and French imperialism was just as bad there as in Africa.
- "Economists don't understand anything about the (macro-) economy." Unfortunately, this includes Jeff Sachs, who is lobbying to become head of the World Bank. I pity the poor if he does.
- Worst rail project ever? New Mexico's "Roadrunner" costs $30,000 per rider, per year :(
- Drug expiration dates are more about pharma profits than safety.
- The caging of America. A very sad story of a system that makes criminals, rather than protects society. (Related: US police will now use drones to
surveyspy on citizens.)
- Use Wolfram Alpha to answer interesting questions (my name is the 15th most popular birth name :) and make life easier around the house with these tips.