Here's a brief summary of the situation:
- I cancelled the contract with UC Press in December when it was clear that we were not reaching agreement on the audience for the text.
- Island Press gave it a pass. Reviews were decent (two positive and one neutral), but the new editor wasn't willing to take a chance on me as a first-time author.
- I've decided to self-publish the book (probably through Amazon). That will make it possible for you folks to get hard copies. I plan to put out a PDF (hyperlinks!) and/or Kindle version.
- I've got a copy editor. I may have a cover designer.
- If all goes well, it should be done in May (party!)
I've written it for "people like you" -- folks who may not be economists but who are interested in understanding or using economics to improve water management. I am writing for engineers, managers, lawyers, environmentalists, biologists, political staffers and farmers...
So, I've got two questions:
- Which subtitle (in the poll on the right sidebar) sounds the most interesting? What makes you want to open the cover?
- Do you have any comments/ideas on what I've described? Please comment or email me.
Addendum: The title will still be The End of Abundance. I am talking about the subtitle!