- I was looking for information on water in Ethiopia. When I went to the website of the Addis Ababa Water and Sewerage Authority, I found that it was in English (yay!). Then I looked for the version in Amharic (the local language spoken by 20 million people), which was not there. Instead there was this: "The Addis Ababa City Administration website is at the moment in English language." Why? Maybe because over 30% of the government's budget comes from foreign aid? Now we know who the government serves.
- The Straight Dope on windpower (20 percent of US electricity will take 150,000 turbines).
- Comparative advantage: Indian conglomerates and Chinese entrepreneurs
- Links from Reddit: Some ideas on how to improve your life (sort by "hot"), many ideas for saving money, and a rant about ignorant Americans who vote against their own interests by the son of one.
- Common mistakes made by economists (not so often here, but I'm taking notes) and politicians who
don't understand economicslie about political bribes to get subsidies (wrt corn ethanol).
- Real: Operation Skankbag (the war against Louis Vuitton). Funny: Twitter as it REALLY is.