- Tis the Season 1: Nutrition professor loses 27 lbs (12 kg) in 10 weeks on a 100% junk food diet using thermodynamics, i.e., calories in < calories out = weight loss. On a related note, high-fructose corn syrup
increases weight gain[see comments].
- Tis the Season 2: George Carlin on airport security, how the Israelis do it (humans, not machines) and Art Carden says that liberals and conservatives can agree... to shut down the TSA.
- Holy cow -- you've got to see this piece from Fox Business
NewsCrap (via MdG). What a ridiculous rant by a host who cannot tell the difference between his own experience (luck!) and the average experience (statistics FAIL). Robert Frank is a hero for not punching the idiot.
- Silent Spring (review coming soon), part 173: "Antimicrobials have become a billion dollar a year industry and these chemicals now pervade the environment and our bodies...[They] have been linked to endocrine disruption, with potential adverse impacts on sexual and neurological development." On a very related note, Monsanto now has to pay farmers to use other herbacides, since some weeds are now immune to its roundup ready poisons.
- A US lawnmower puts out more pollutants than four cars. Lawnmowers are responsible for 86,000 emergency room admissions per year and over 17 million gallons of spilled gasoline. That's on top of the huge water consumption (over 50 percent of total residential water use in Southern California) that they facilitate.