I have learned so much after 40 that it is surprising that I made it to 40. I also realize that pre-40, I was probably insufferable--claiming to know things that I did not know.
Some of the big things post-40 are:
- If your boss is an idiot, there is a very good chance that his or her boss is also an idiot. Leave.
- People are more interesting and work differently than I thought they did.
- Narcissists and borderline personality disorder people are real, exist in high positions, and are dangerous.
- To be an expert in anything requires ten thousand hours of 'progressive practice' (Syed, "Bounce")
- Trusting others and delegating to others is scary but is required.
- Having a network of people who care about you is critical to health and happiness
- Microbrews are delicious
- Changing the direction of a bureaucracy is possible but tricky