- The metric system! Would 2 yrs matter?
- Sales taxes included in prices, but footnoted on the receipt
- No tipping*
- Mailboxes that we can modify -- especially with the right to refuse junk mail.**
- gas prices that do NOT include tenths of pennies, e.g, $2.349/gallon.***
* Tipping is complicated. On the one hand, they give people an incentive to give good service, even if their "glad to see you smile" is rather fake. OTOH, tipping allows employers to pay VERY low wages, with the rationalization that employees who are "worth it" will earn their wages from customers. I'm starting to think that the tip system is more about paying less than better service. (We got excellent service from untipped employees who were proud to be doing a good job.)
** I was complaining to a USPS rep one time about "junk mail." She corrected me with "No, it's not junk mail; it's business bulk mail, and our customers pay us to deliver it." WTF? Who are your customers?! damn.
*** Sadly, gas prices did include tenths of pennies, a wasteful habit -- all those extra nines -- that appears to be a marketing gimmick.