The "benefits of membership" have been disappointing to me:
- Although I have spoken at a few AWWA conferences, I find them to be directed at selling pumps and water treatment devices, not at improving water management.*
- Their webcasts are also more about money than spreading information.
- I applied to serve on the water rates committee, but they never responded (let alone said yes or no).
- I wanted to share articles from the AWWA, but they told me to take them down. With one exception, the AWWA is the only organization more concerned with protecting information than sharing it.
Bottom Line: An organization's institutions say a lot about its priorities, customers, etc. The AWWA still appears to represent traditional water management (build stuff!) -- neither innovation nor the concerns of water customers. Oh well, I tried.
* Note that I do not have to be a member to give a talk...
** There's a principal-agent-beneficiary model to discuss!