Water in Focus... calls students to action as they examine environmental justice issues centered on the theme of water... in San Diego [where] they explore the issues of water conservation, water shortage, water pollution, and accessibility to water through photography and visual arts.Students participating in the program have from 18 Feb to 22 March (World Water Day) to upload their photos. Selected photos will be exhibited in San Diego from 22 April (Earth Day) until 2 June.
Each student who participates in Water In Focus will:
- Complete a writing piece that reflects their personal relationship to water.
- Learn basic photography skills and will capture at least 30 photographs that document water in their lives and community.
- Engage in a dialogue centered on water issues through group investigations on the causes and effects of our water crisis.
- Complete an educational component that involves factual information.
- Participate in our online virtual mural where students can upload photographs and writing pieces centered on water to share with our online global community.
Here's their Flickr group.
Here are the flyer and guidelines [PDFs] for potential participants.
If you are interested in participating in WiF, email Niki Even.
Bottom Line: Water is a complicated issue, and kids should consider it from multiple perspectives [pun!]