29 Jan 2009

Clearing the Backlog, Part I

Here are some quickies:
  • IID ranchers complain that they need more water. That sounds like BS to me. Why are there 400,000 cows in the desert?
  • Engineers are going to cut down 900 trees (many native oaks) to build levees to protect real estate developments in a flood plain. Why are people living in a floodplain?
  • An irrigation district will charge water misers less and water hogs more. Good -- even if they were forced into it. (Now only 53% of customers have bills based on actual consumption. That number is set to increase to 70%, which only leaves 30% crazy.)
  • If we all died today, it would take 1,000 years for the climate to return to "normal." Ouch.
  • California farmers are cutting back on production and jobs. Although the impact will be small relative to the State's economy, it will be concentrated in areas that are relatively poor. Better water markets and pricing would reduce the harm, but nobody is talking sense in that area.
  • The Bush administration's management failures (Iraq, Katrina, etc.) can be traced to managers hired for loyalty instead of competence. Change is good.
  • Reducing carbon output may not be that costly if we do it the smart way. Beware of fear-mongering energy lobbyists.
  • Blame Earl Butz (Nixon's Ag Secretary) for launching the corn juggernaut that is destroying our farms, food security and environment.
  • Republicans take the high road (?) on carbon legislation -- claiming that they will call out Democrats who claim high morals but hand out free permits to local polluters. Awesome. (I read recently that the Republican implosion can only be good. After so much failure, they've got to get back to good ideas, innovation and higher standards.)
hattips to DW


  1. People should have the right to live in a floodplain... If they are willing to surrender their right to complain about floods AND their right to receive gov't aid for disaster remediation/mitigation.

    But since that's not very realistic, we should just tax the hell out of people who live in disaster-prone zones. Wouldn't that be a good tax?


  2. Ah, the Earl Butz days! Th good ole days, when ag subsidies were increasing and Arthur Daniels Midland and Cargill were go go stocks.


Read this first!

Make sure you copy your comment before submitting because sometimes the system will malfunction and you will lose your comment.

Spam will be deleted.

Comments on older posts must be approved (do not submit twice).

If you're having problems posting, email your comment to me